Italian olive oil lemon cake
|Butter (for the pan)|
|Flour (for the pan)|
|7||eggs, separated and at room temperature|
|1 1/2||cups granulated sugar|
|1||cup top-quality olive oil|
|1 1/2||teaspoons baking powder|
|Grated rind of 1 lemon|
|Confectioners’ sugar (for sprinkling)|
1. Set the oven at 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch springform pan and dust it with flour, tapping out the excess.
2. In a bowl using a whisk, beat the egg yolks and gradually beat in the granulated sugar and olive oil.
3. Add the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and lemon rind. Mix well.
4. In an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gently fold the whites into the yolk mixture until no white patches show.
5. Transfer the batter to the pan. Bake the cake for 40 minutes or until the top springs back when pressed with a fingertip.
6. Let the cake cool. Unlatch the spring and slide the cake onto a flat platter. Sprinkle generously with confectioners’ sugar.