INSTA-MY-GRAM

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

FOUND: The Gorbals



WILL WRIGHT READS...
- local writers reading their latest works -
Monday, October 25 (9pm)
THE GORBALS
501 South Spring Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013
(213) 488-3408
http://thegorbalsla.com/


Last night I went to THE GORBALS to support my friend, Will Wright, and his night of Readers.

Will typically holds his event "Will Wright Reads" at the Echo Park Film Center, but this time he mixed it up and held it at The Gorbals.

He placed a mic front and center.

The dining room was filled to the gills with Will's friends, the readers, and the reader's friends....

So, there I was...

seated at the bar, per usual.

What I love most about their bar is how it is placed right next to "the pass" (where plated dishes are waiting to be delivered to hungry patrons). The effect: you have a front row seat to the open kitchen... best way to see what to order.

When the evening came upon a dull Reader (sorry, there were), I was happily distracted by the sharpening of knives on display in front of me. Think- Benihana style! nothing gets my heart racing like a good ole-fashion knife sharpening.

Altogether, it was a bubbly and engaging crowd and I always depart wondering how it is that there are all of these creative minds hiding in the city, and thank Will for bringing them out of their shells and sharing their creative pearls with us.

Will, I would like to extend my gratitude to you for creating a night for word artists and their admirers.

We all know you could easily profit off of this night by charging and alas, you spend your limited free time to create a penny-free event for free thinkers.


I would like to round out this post with a general observation: Gorbals is a fun word to say. Don't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive