- Angostura Bitters or Fee Brother's Whiskey Barrel-Aged Bitters is sometimes added 
- Mule's Kick, served over crushed ice in a copper (or other metal) mug, with no fruit.
- Three Legged Mule, with Jameson Irish Whiskey
- Manuka Mule, served with 42BELOW Manuka Honey vodka, adding a warm and spicy taste. Also known as Honey Bear in the UK.
- George Special, served with slice of orange instead of lime
- Garden Mule, served with fresh melon & cucumber slices crushed into a shaker (o. Severino)
- Vanilla Mule, served vanilla vodka, lime juice (and wedge), ginger beer, bruised mint leaves, over ice.